Thursday, October 6, 2011

Screw the Man!



Marjane Satrapi was never the goody two-shoes in school or an obedient daughter at home.  She was more of a rebel and the class clown. Early in Persepolis, Marj manipulated her maid to sneaking away to a demonstration. “Tomorrow we are going to the demonstration” Marj (38). “We are not allowed” Mehri (38).  “Don’t worry! We are going anyway” Marj(38).  Once they return home from the demonstration both received a hi-five in the face complimentary of Marj’s mom.  She deliberately disobey her parents (an authority) to do what she felt was the right thing to do. 
Marj never really believes in the subjective practices of her teacher.  “Children, tear out all the photos of he Shah your books”(44) Marj’s teacher. “But she was the one who told us that the Shah was chosen by God” (44) Marj. Further in the book Marj and her friends would use toilet paper as decorations for the school ball or dances.  Also, she would heckle her teacher while Marj’s teacher was yelling at the students. Towards the end of Persepolis, she dresses up in improper attire, where it was address as “punk wears” by the Guardians of the revolution women branch.  She knew that its wasn’t allowed but she did it anyway.  If that not a rebel with a cause I don’t know what the definition of a rebel is. 
In this aspect of who Marjane was as a child, is where I find the most similar between her and I. When I was adolescence, I was sort of rebellious kid my self and even sometime still to this day.  Only on rare occasions is when I didn’t break the rules. I define my mom and the authority. My friends and I when we were younger would  go in to town and cause trouble. Bullying little kids, vandalizing and taking whatever we feel like it.  We definitely needed some guidance at that time.  What can I says, I am a product of my environment and my environment is a product of me.
Till this day, I feel that I am always up against this unstoppable entity.  More often than not, I feel that I have to work even harder than everyone else for my achievement.  Through the struggle and the stride of my life, I hope one day it will all payoff.  
To be continue……… 

3 comments:

  1. What a great read. You use convincing details from the text to make your case that Marjane is a rebel and you also do a great job of connecting with this aspect of the text with your personal life. Great work here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your post. Marji was definately a rebel and spoke against the injustices, even though she was very young. She did everything to defy the Guardians of the the Revolution and spoke against her teachers in school, which got her expelled. Not only did she spoke against the teachers, she also did things to annoy them such as using "toilet paper as decorations for the school ball or dances." I think most kids are a bit rebellious to some extent in their youth. What sets them apart is how the rebel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mrs K. I felt like this was a short post and was not fully completed. It still feel unfinished to me.

    Kanza, Thanks for your comments. I feel that rebelling is a stage/phase that all the youth goes through. In Marj case she had reasonable argument for her action. She felt that in was injustices to force religion on anyone. Thing were suppose to change after the initial war. But, apparently it did not. If anything it turn for the worsts in her eyes.

    ReplyDelete