Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Oh so difficult!

Just finish reading In Dubious Battle by John Steinbeck.  I felt that the first couple chapter was intriguing.  Then it started to drags on until the last few chapters.  However, I was griped and pulled into this worm whole of a depressing novel with the last three chapters.  Overall it was a pretty interesting book. I find my wanting more from “the red” Jim Nolan. He had so much more to offer.  I feel neglected not getting more from this character.
The only difficult part in this novel is to find time to read it.  But, when I do find the time, I have difficultly getting started.  Getting the brain to fire on all cylinders while reading is pretty hard.  In general I have a problem with comprehend thing when I read it just once or reading for a long period of time. I tend to loose track of thing and daydream about how I should ask out this girl in my class. Anyhow, this book takes up a lot of your time.  Its not an easy read as well.  I didn’t find myself connecting with the characters.  I did understand where Jim Nolan was coming from. Also, I  feel this book was too much about Mac.  In the end this book was depression.  Don’t think I will read any of John Steinbeck books again. 

5 comments:

  1. I felt the same exact way!! I have to force myself to sit in the school library and finish it, as painful as it was..lol. It seemed the the first few chapters were different and then all the others were just going on and on…and on! Did you start your paper? Im working on mine and let me tell you, not liking a book makes it extremely hard to write a paper on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amanda, I haven't even came up with an outline for my paper. This will be one tough cookie. I have no idea how I am going to pull this one out. I wish we read "The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian" for our paper. That seem more of an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there,

    I managed to finish reading the book not too long ago. I have to agree with you both that it is difficult to start writing a paper on this book, especially for a formal paper. Anyhow, I hope I will have the rough draft done by this weekend. Good luck on your writings.

    Trang

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure like to see this honest communication both between students and about the novel:) Honestly, Steinbeck isn't my favorite, either. However, I absolutely believe that this is an important book for every American to read. It makes you THINK about life and people and history and the struggles of humankind. Jim Nolan's transformation from a 'lost soul' with nothing to live for to an impassioned 'rebel with a cause' is also something worth pondering....I also think about Jim Nolan every time I drive by the Occupy Movement in Santa Cruz. Is it lack of opportunity that drives this movement? Personal dissatisfaction with self and society? Or passionate activism against an unfair system? Understanding Jim Nolan as a character forces the reader to answer these same questions...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree with you on this. I didnt think the book was an easy read either. I had trouble understanding some of their terms. Once again i found myself readind and re reading.However i too finished reading the book recently and the ebding does leave you wanting more. I enjoyed the intense ending. I agrree with my peers and i agree that it is going to be hard writting a formal paper on this book. Good luck to everyone ;)

    ReplyDelete